Can’t get your hands on an important email in your Gmail inbox? Have you looked at archived messages? In this tutorial, we explain how to access it.
Has an important or old email disappeared from your Gmail inbox? What if you looked in the archived messages? Gmail tends to encourage you to sort your messages into folders, as one of its many features. The downside is that it can happen that a message ends up in the archived messages folder, and finding it is not as easy as in your inbox.
Also note that you could have simply archived it intentionally to get it out of your main inbox and store it in an organized manner. Sometimes, Gmail itself takes care of this since certain emails, such as newsletters, notifications or order confirmations, are automatically archived by Gmail to prevent them from filling up your inbox. It is not impossible that one of them ends up in the famous archived messages box. Finally, this could also perhaps be due to incorrect classification of emails on Gmail or even done involuntarily instead of deleting a message or moving it to another folder.
Remember, however, that there are several reasons which can explain the loss of one or more emails: inactivity for a long period, accidental deletion, hacking of your account, etc.
However, there is a simple method to find an archived message in Gmail, as long as it is still stored in your account.
How to find an archived message on Gmail?
The procedure is essentially the same on a web browser from a PC or on the mobile application, here is the procedure to follow.
- Open Gmail and log in to your account.
- Go to the Settings at the top right (notched wheel) then on See all settings.
- Then go to the tab Labels and scroll to the bottom of the page to see if all messages are displayed in your inbox.
- Return to the main page and go to the left sidebar, select All posts. This option displays all messages, including those that are archived.
- You can then see all your archived and unarchived emails in one place. Additionally, you can use the filters at the top to get more precise results.
On the mobile app
- Open the Gmail app and log in to your account.
- Tap the menu shaped like three horizontal lines in the upper left corner to open the side menu.
- Scroll down and select All posts to see all archived and unarchived emails.